Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, December 09, 2011

Feels Good to Give During the Holidays


"I don't think you ever stop giving. I really don't. I think it's an on-going process. And it's not just about being able to write a check. It's being able to touch somebody's life." - Oprah Winfrey

I clean out my closest several times a year. Thankfully, I have the smaller closest in the Master bedroom, so I can't get too much stuff in there anyway. However, the clothes that I haven't worn in months and even years are the first to go, during my "cleaning out the closest days."

I love giving away my clothes and seeing other people enjoy wearing them. Whether it be a dress, skirt, or cute top. My beneficiary of clothes is oftentimes my older sister, Malaika. When she comes to visit me, I have a bag of clothes ready for her to look through and take out whatever she wants. (To think just 15 years ago, I was the one sneaking in her closet and borrowing items without permission.)

I'm a bit compulsive with my giving. I like to have individual bags labeled for girlfriends, charity, and my older sister. Just last week, I started hanging clothes on the outside of my closet, and realized that it was time to donate clothes again. I'm not a frequent shopper, but being my Mother-In-Laws only daughter, I'm blessed that she stays abreast to the latest fashion trends, assists me in being fashionable, and keeps my closet full.

When I was younger, I would giving my toys away to playmates. Giving comes naturally for me. I was raised in a household where we didn't fuse over personal items. My mom instilled in us at an early age the importance of giving to others in need.

I recently donated women's clothing to the Atlanta Day Shelter for Women and Children. On their site it states that, "Last year they distributed 1,241 personalized gift bags to individuals--763 of those bags were prepared especially for children."

So check out your closest and see if you have items to give. Which charities do you like to give too?

Visit my blogs Married with Two Boys and Support Table for Two follow me on Twitter like me on Facebook and connect with me on LinkedIn.

Published

No comments:

Post a Comment